Historical Landmarks of West Cowes, Isle of Wight
This Historical early grade ll listed house was built, owned and inhabited by five generations of the Ward family between 1797 and 1929, when it was gifted to Cowes Urban District Council along with the 26-acre ‘pleasure park’ surrounding it.
Cowes Hammerhead Crane
Standing proud in the Cowes skyline is the 1912 hammerhead dockyard crane, a magnificent symbol of Cowes’ marine industrial history and reminder the many ships, aircraft and hovercraft that have been built on both sides of the Medina River. This 80 ton crane is the only remaining pre-World War One hammerhead crane in England.
The seafront parade stretches from the starting cannons at the Royal Yacht Squadron down to the Island Sailing Club. Both the Royal Corinthian and Royal London Yacht Clubs are also located on The Parade, one of the main centres of activity for big events.
In Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week, `The Parade Village’ is a perfect place to see all the action, catch up on the racing results and soak up the atmosphere whilst sitting in the decked garden or wandering through the retail village and food court.
Known locally as `The Green’, is a favourite spot to watch the racing action from the shore. Race starts frequently take place from the Royal Yacht Squadron. The Green was presented to Cowes as a public open space by George Stephenson in 1863 to mark the occasion of the wedding of the Prince of Wales (the future Edward VII) to Princess Alexandra of Denmark.
Royal Yacht Squadron
One of the most famous landmarks in West Cowes is the `Cowes Castle’, which is home to the Royal Yacht Squadron which was founded in 1815 as a club for gentlemen interested in sea yachting. From the water, the yachtsman sees the Squadron Castle as battlements, a round tower, and a flagstaff. Before it’s yachting history comes another royal connection as Henry VIII had the castle built in 1539 as a deterrent to the French.