Brightsone to Niton Walk – 8 Miles
- Leave Military Road at Grange Chine and walk towards the sea following the signposts BS58. Walk down into the Chine, across the bridge and up the other side. Continue along the cliff overlooking Brighstone Bay, to pass the comparatively diminutive Barnes Chine before reaching the crumbling yellow sandstone of Barnes High.
- Continue along the cliff top to Cowleaze Chine and follow the path inland around the head of the chine and walk parallel with the opposite side towards the cliff top again. Cross over a stile, footbridge and another stile and passing the old water works on your right, strike diagonally left across the field to the far corner.
- Pass over stile and down the chalk path with central rail turning left inland along the side of Shepherds Chine. At irrigation dam and pumphouse turn right and climb to rim of Chine via the steps, turn right and return to the cliff edge.
- Continue along the cliff top to Atherfield Point where the coastguard lookout and chiming buoy at sea warn ships of this notoriously bad coastline. At Whale Chine walk parallel with the chine to the Military Road, turn right through the car park, and then right again over a gate crossing a field to rejoin the coastal path. Skirt around Ladder Chine which lies to the right and continue eastwards around Walpen Chine taking the footpath towards Cliff Farm and the village of Chafe, alongside a hedge and now heading inland. Walk over the footbridge between the fields to the stile, keeping the hedge on the right. Turn right along the road past Cliff Farm to the village, passing the church with its perpendicular tower with graveyard tombs where errant smugglers used to hide. Shortly after passing the church turn right along The Terrace then left along Bridleway C15.
- The coastal path follows a well defined track along the cliff top above the undercliff. Continue on the cliff top, above St Catherines Point and Rocken End, a large offshore rock and the home of a colony of comorants, the most southerly part of the Island.
- Pass the Telecom transmitting station and masts and walk along the path with the fence and bushes either side. Cross a stile, continue to the edge of the field, over another stile and conclude this section of the coastal path by descending into Barrack Shute, via Boxers Lane footpath.
You don't have permission to register