Godshill Church: All Saints
Dates from the14th century and is the fourth built on this site. The hill on which the church stands was once used by pagans as a place of worship and legend tells that the building of a church was begun at the foot of the hill but that on three successive nights stones were removed from the site and placed in the place of the present church although no one saw them being moved and for the first two mornings work was restarted at the foot but by the third day it was assumed that God wished the church to be built on the hill, hence the name Godshill.
Public transport is provided by Southern Vectis buses on route 2 and route 3, which run between Newport, Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor.
Godshill Tourist Information Point
Godshill Fact File.
The first ever Isle of Wight Festival back in 1968 was held near by at Ford Farm (now a holiday accommodation) and attracted 10,000 people to the Island.
The village is one of the ancient parishes that existed before the compilation of the Domesday Book back when the village was spelt ‘Godeshulle’. The church was given by William Fitz-Osbern, who died in 1070, to the Abbey of Lyra in Normandy.
Godshill Park House dates from about 1760 and was built as a home farm to serve the Appuldurcombe Estate. In around 1860 the house was extended, adding the Regency front and became a private residence. It was used in the Second World War as an army hospital.
Isle of Wight Tourist Information Centres
Godshill Village Store
Isle Of Wight
Open All Year