Botanic Lager Press Release
Ventnor Botanic Garden, Isle of Wight
Drink beer, Save the Garden
Ventnor Botanic Garden and brewing partner, Goddards Brewery, are pleased to announce the launch of a new beer in the Botanic series, a lager with a touch of Eucalyptus.
Head Brewer at Goddards, Nigel Eldridge, explains, “I have rarely enjoyed tasting a lager in development as much as this one. The Eucalyptus is innovative and refreshing. It complements the Boadicea hop’s flavour notes beautifully.”
Chris Kidd, Curator at Ventnor Botanic Garden, added, “Remember that old Australian beer advert, ‘I wouldn’t give a XXXX for any other lager’? In a way we have brought it back with this new lager brewed and bottled on the Island. Goddards have created a great marriage of our handpicked hops and the aromatic character of Eucalyptus globulus, a tree native to Australia.”
VBG‘s microclimate supports the only Eucalyptus globulus plantation in the U.K. We harvest sustainably – never sacrificing a tree. As the world warms up due to the greenhouse effect we expect to see Eucalyptus used more and more as a crop and biomass tree. VBG has three species of Eucalyptus which are National Champions meaning they have more height and girth than any other specimen in the U.K.
“Following the ‘Beer with a Mission’ concept from our Botanic Ale Original and Botanic Pale Ale, we are very pleased to add a Botanic Lager to the range. Each bottle enjoyed helps secure the future of the Island’s only botanic garden. At a time when plant extinction rates are increasing, botanic gardens are playing a more and more important role in plant conservation.” John Curtis, Director, Ventnor Botanic Garden.
Ventnor Botanic Garden has one of the best portrayals of the flora of New South Wales, outside Australia, a phyto-geographic representation which simply means that the Eucalyptus trees are presented in a natural style as they would be found in the wild. As a modern botanic garden it is fitting that Ventnor Botanic Garden has looked to their plant collection itself to generate the necessary funds to sustain the Garden for future generations.
Taste this and our other Botanic Ales at our upcoming Hops Festival on Sunday 24th September 2017.
To find out more, visit www.botanic.co.uk
- Ventnor Botanic Garden (VBG) in Ventnor, Isle of Wight, known as ‘Britain’s Hottest Garden,’ covers a 29 acre area and boosts a micro climate 5oC hotter than mainland U.K. VBG grows outside what most botanic gardens have under glass.
- VBG developed the Ventnor MethodSM, a method of presenting plants in association with each other as they are seen in the wild. Plants are therefore matched to the micro climate so they are not heated in greenhouses or watered – saving resources and reducing carbon emissions.
- VBG was rescued by a Community Interest Company set up by John T. Curtis in 2012 after the Isle of Wight Council subsidy was withdrawn.
- VBG has the largest outdoor collection of Eucalyptus in England with 17 different species.
- Label design by Shaun Cuff
- Hand crafted small batch brewing of 3,300 litres by Goddards
- Available from 10th August at Ventnor Botanic Garden and via
www.botanic.co.uk – Retail and Wholesale
Ventnor Botanic Garden, Cath Ouston, Marketing Manager 01983 855 397
Ventnor Botanic Garden, Rosie O’Neill, Marketing Executive 01983 855 397
Goddards Brewery, Xavier Baker 07725 231267 www.goddardsbrewery.com
Shaun Cuff Design, Shaun Cuff 078250 50336 www.shauncuff.co.uk